Paid Internship – Production Assistant
Shakespeare in the Ruins (SIR) is Manitoba’s only not-for-profit professional theatre company specializing in presenting the works of William Shakespeare in unique outdoor settings, which also has a strong focus on youth and community programming that makes Shakespeare accessible and inventive.
Shakespeare in the Ruins is seeking a Production Assistant for our 2021 spring production of “The Winter’s Tale”. This is a paid internship position, reporting to and working closely under the Production Manager (PM) and Technical Director (TD). This production is possible with support from Theatre Cercle Moliere (TCM).
- Assists the Production Manager & Technical Director with implementing production needs.
- Manages, directs, and participates in onstage and backstage activity in the absence of the PM and TD
- Manages all auxiliary festival programming at the park (ie: readings, screenings), under the supervision of the PM
- Transports, loads, and unloads equipment, props and set pieces when required.
- Assist the PM & TD with the creation, distribution, and management of production schedule & related paperwork
- Communicate accurate information about production to theatre staff, designers, stage management and production crew
- Assist with the pre-production needs of the production
- Maintain good working knowledge of all relevant health and safety legislation and theatre health and safety policies
- Other related duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Eager to learn and accept direction
- Proficient computer skills including word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Excellent organizational, planning; and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated evidence of successful teamwork
- Ability to take initiative and thrive in a busy, unique, outdoor environment in all weather conditions
- Working knowledge of theatrical, film, and/or production procedures and practices
- Comfortable with manual labour
- Experience in stage management or technical theatre an asset
- Driver’s license and access to a vehicle is a requirement.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Hours: This is a temp internship from April 15 to July 15, 2021. Averaging approximately 20-40 hours a week on evenings and weekends. The successful applicant must be available for every shift
Pay: $2000 honorarium.
While all are welcome to apply, priority will be given to emerging talents from underserved and underrepresented communities.
Please EMAIL a resume with 2-3 references and cover letter by March 15, 2021 to: Lisa Nelson-Fries email@example.com with PRODUCTION ASSISTANT in the subject heading
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.